Saturday, May 7, 2011

Maine Striper Fishing Coastal Fly Angler

Maine Striper season getting closer!!!!!!I got a great fishing report last night !! a couple of Cape Cod guides went out after hearing rumors of a good bite the day before, and by the sound of it they hit it just right!!! between them over 50 fish in 25-32 inch range mixed in a bunch of 3-5 pound Bluefish - water temps in the 53 degree range in Buzzard Bay and more fish should be heading that way daily. On this side of the Cape there have been some  bass taken in the Boston Harbor and all the way up to the Joppa flats area,  look for that to improve daily. Here in Maine the  amount of bait in the Royal River I saw yesterday while working on the Action Craft at the Yarmouth Boat Yard is any indication, Maine's waters should be pretty good shape on the food side and support some happy stripers  once the fish push up this way. Im not a betting man but I will not be surprised  to here about a bright Striper caught here on Maine's coast any day now..

Check out May/June Eastern Fly Fishing Magazine Cover and photo essay,Taken while we where filming Conflunace Films new movie "Connect" trailer and more info soon...



CCA Maine

I have never really been accused of being a tree hugger, but fish hugger yes!! I have always run my guide service, witch is  now closing in on 20 years as a  catch and release experience, I also understand  there is times when the release is heading straight to the bottom for crab bait.. and this is something I think we can improve on as anglers, choosing proper hooks, timely landing of the fish, and what good is catch and release if we are not PREPARED  to take our photos  QUICKLY and release the fish..So why CCA Maine now?? I have followed this group for years was on the   board years ago and at one point just got frustrated in it's direction they seemed to be more concerned  with it's annual banquet then fishery issues, I know longer gave them my money, time or a guide trip for fund raising. Lately I have seen a new energy there, and put simply I like what I am seeing!!!  They have taken on issues and more importantly a stance that was not popular with all of there members, and I truly believe if they lost a few from those stances they deserved to get many more in return for taking the stance that would benefit the fishery at the cost of a few dollars to the users. They are also best chance of having a open line of communication with the new DMR and it's commissioner Olson, I will say this,we have our work cut out with this guy, he has NO history or by the sounds of it not much interest in recreational  angling here in Maine,the madding stance he took voting with Virginia has pissed off about every saltwater angler in Maine!! I will give him that he has only been at the job for a few months, and may not have been up to speed on the  Menhaden stocks but for what ever reasons, action like this need need to be explained to the angling community here in Maine and we need a group to open the door and ask them, consider joining CCA-Maine, I truly feel a growth spurt in a group heading in the right direction could be that voice we need while we don't have the voice that states with saltwater license have. Any anglers doing trips with me can deduct the 25.00 CCA- Maine membership from the guide fee to of set the cost....          

       

No comments:

Maine Striper Reports May 10 th 2019

And just like that,,,, They are here, not in number and still spotty but the baits and small schoolies are starting to show, check back ...