Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Maine Striper Fishing

Maine Striper Fishing Report, smaller tides and very well feed fish creating a good but shorter bite on the bay over the past weekend,we still found plenty of surface feeds at most spots we fished but with a clearing sky at the beginning of the week we went looking for a change up! My angler and I took the little skiff out for some sight fishing! It sure is fun guiding well traveled fly anglers who are up to challenging themselves and sight fishing sand flats for striped bass or tidal Carp in skinny water will do just that! On Monday and Tuesday we spent a day Carp fishing in the MerryMeeting bay area and Had a blast!!! I think we will both loose sleep over the eats we got in less than a foot of water!!! on Tuesday we headed out for some sight fishing on the flats south of Portland, The light was trying for us but never lit up the sand that great, but we still found plenty of fish and shots, there are some very large groups of small fish mixed in with that upper slot to mid 30 inch fish.

Bait wise, kinda the same as last week just more of it, sand eels in the Saco area and not only bringing bass but also some bigger Mackerel and I heard my first reports of Bluefish in Maine waters  also a email report  from Jim Berstein down at the  Eldredge Fly Shop in Cape Neddic of a over 50 inch fish caught on a local charter, lets hope that big girl made it quickly back into the water. Every thing from 9 inch long hollow to 1.5 inch sand eel patterns have produced and so have the crab patterns. There is a mixed bag out there and you can choose the style of fishing you want by weather and tides there are plenty of fish both on the mud flats and fishy structure of Casco Bay and the sand flats to the south for the sight anglers.  
 

     
Also I would like to apologize to anglers who have been trying to contact me or book tips, My response time has been slowed by the quality  of fishing we are seeing here in Maine and I
hope I got back to you all and did not miss anyone..I have one or two AM opening in July a handful of evening / Striper or Carp tides open as well..Coming up when we have a little down time, I will be doing a bio on Coastal Fly Anglers new Guide, Capt. Mike Roy.I have seen him over the years poling the flats on his own getting to really know the water and when he approached me to buy a push pole a few ago I felt he had a understanding of how to approach
guiding light tackle anglers on Casco Bay so by adding Mike and working with a group of full-time guides throughout Maine's coast we offer one of the  best connections for Guided Maine Striper Fishing 207-671-4330

No comments:

Maine Striper Reports May 10 th 2019

And just like that,,,, They are here, not in number and still spotty but the baits and small schoolies are starting to show, check back ...