Monday, February 6, 2012

Maine Striper Fishing Reports


Sharing flies and ideas is one of the better parts of fishing, and i cant tell you how lucky I feel to have had some great minds on my skiff over the years!! This past fall a random box came in the mail from Lefty Kreh there was a bunch of flies in it and one particular pattern that had me very excited, We fished it for the first time for stripers here in Maine the season before and while one my boat this past summer I explained I tried to duplicate it from memory but was not getting to sit in the water column like his,Well lefty having a memory like a trapped door sent a few of the pattern this past fall and after a few bath tube test I think I got it close, of course I am not using the flies he tied they are in a box with the hand wrote address on my desk and will remain there!!! 

What really got me in the mindset to share this story was another Angler who I fish quite a bit over the last few years and really has become a good tier in his own right, with all the trade shows going on this year and the latest greatest tackle there was one thing that really stuck out was the quality of buck and tail and the colors that are out there. Joe Herbert the angler mentioned above based out of Rhode Island, sent some really cool Hollow patterns this week tied with two tone buck tail, fun stuff and you are getting the feeling by the emails and ph calls anglers are getting ready for the 2012 fishing season.

I have a talk and Fly Tying Demo at LL Beans here in Freeport on FEB 17 
Focus is Skinny Water Striped Bass Fly Fishing in Maine, hope to see a few of you there and come with some flies and ideas great to work off of each other..                

No comments:

Maine Striper Reports May 10 th 2019

And just like that,,,, They are here, not in number and still spotty but the baits and small schoolies are starting to show, check back ...